The Essex Calendar is the quickest and easiest way to discover what’s happening in and around Essex, NY. In addition to the calendar view, you can view a list of upcoming events and add an event. (Lost your password?)
NOTICE (March 13, 2020) In light of the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic many events in the country and our community are being canceled or postponed. We will do our best to update events, but we recommend you double-check with the venue/event organizer to confirm scheduled events are taking place before attending.
- This event has passed.
The Grand Hike on Champlain Area Trails
May 3, 2014 @ 7:30 am - 8:00 pm
Beginning at the Westport Hotel and Tavern in Westport, NY with an optional breakfast, The Grand Hike on Champlain Area Trails will take participants along CATS trails and back roads through the Champlain Valley’s picturesque landscape to Essex, NY where they can join in celebrations at the Essex Inn on the Adirondack Coast. Participants are encouraged to walk as much or as little of the 14-mile trek as they would like. Along the route are 4 oases – spots to use porta potties, eat lunch, grab a snack, rest, or take a complimentary shuttle back to your car or to the end location on Main Street in Essex, NY.
Parking is available in Westport at the Westport Hotel and Tavern and at the fairgrounds. There is also parking available in Essex. Park your car in Essex, meet in front of the Essex Inn, and take the free shuttle (provided by Pok-O-MaCready) to the Westport Hotel to begin the Hike, or leave your car in Westport and take the free shuttle back to your car at the end of the day.
The Grand Hike will end at the Essex Inn with a block party featuring the music of the Wadhams Waddlers. Take part in a restorative yoga class or a chair massage provided by Lake Champlain Yoga & Wellness, listen to live music, grab a drink and bite to eat at the Essex Inn, and much more! Including activities for children like face painting. Those who finish the entire hike will earn one free cocktail at the Inn.
You can pre-register here. The entrance fee is $5/individual or $10/couple, family, or group. Upon check-in, please note that boxed lunches will be available for purchase and can be delivered to one of the 4 oasis locations of your choice. All who participate in The Grand Hike will receive a reusable eco-friendly bag with registration and 4×6 keepsake photo taken at the end of hike courtesy of Jim Carroll of Overtime Photography.
Keep up with event updates and those attending on Facebook.
For those who decide to begin the hike at an oasis, please meet a shuttle in front of the Essex Inn at the designated time below and the shuttle will bring you to the oasis to begin your adventure.
The Grand Hike Schedule
May 3, 2014
- 7:00 am – Pok-O shuttle from Essex (meet at Inn) to Westport for those who want breakfast
- 7:30 am and 8:30 am – Shuttle from Essex Ferry Dock to Westport
- 7:30 am – Breakfast available at The Westport Hotel (at special hiker’s price)
- 8:00am – Registration
- 8:30am – Check-in (for those pre-registered)
- 9:00 am – Hike Begins in Westport
- 10:00 am – Meeting time for those beginning hike at Oasis 1: Shuttle brings hikers from Essex Inn to Oases 1, returns to Essex with people who stop hiking there, shuttle also returns hikers to Westport
- 11:00 am – Meeting time for those beginning hike at Oasis 2: Shuttle brings hikers from Essex Inn to Oasis 2, return to Essex, shuttle also takes people back to Westport
- 1:00 pm – Meeting time for those beginning hike at Oasis 3: Shuttle brings hikers from Essex Inn to Oasis 3, return to Essex, shuttle also takes people back to Westport
- 4:00 pm – Meeting time for those beginning hike at Oasis 4: Shuttle brings hikers from Essex Inn to Oasis 4, return to Essex, shuttle also takes people back to Westport
- 4:30 pm – Shuttles from Oases 4 to Essex and Westport
- 5:00 – 8:00pm – Block Party in The Essex Inn Courtyard
Please be patient because these times are organizer’s best estimates considering logistics and multiple participant paces. If you have any questions, please call 518-962-2287.