The Essex Calendar is the quickest and easiest way to discover what's happening in and around Essex, NY. In addition to the calendar view, you can view a list of upcoming events and add an event. (Lost your password?)
- This event has passed.
Cornell Willsboro Research Farm Open House
July 13, 2017 @ 1:30 pm - 4:00 pm
- Date:Thursday, July 13
- Time: 1:30pm to 4:00pm (Tour leaves the main office at 2:00pm)
- Location: Willsboro Research Farm, 48 Sayward Lane, Willsboro (past Willsboro Central School, on right)
- Cost: Admission is free and open to the public
The Cornell University Willsboro Research Farm will hold an open house on Thursday, July 13 from 1:30pm to 4:00pm. A tour of the facilities and research plots will leave the main office (48 Sayward Lane, Willsboro) at 2:00pm. Light refreshments will be provided.
Research topics featured at this year’s open house include corn silage variety trials, nitrogen management for forage sorghum, warm season forage variety trials, juneberry nursery and production trials, Aronia variety plantings, cover crop seeding demonstration plots, a high tunnel cherry tomato pruning study, greenhouse pepper production under field and high tunnel conditions, adaptive nitrogen management for corn and incorporating cover crops into the adaptive management model, and field trials of farmer selected organic spring wheat breeding lines.
In 1982 E. Vreeland Baker, a Willsboro farmer and entrepreneur, donated his 352 acre farm to Cornell University for agricultural research and demonstration. The facility serves to connect Cornell faculty in Ithaca with the challenges and issues facing North Country farmers. Willsboro Research Farm is managed by the Cornell University Agricultural Experiment Station.
This event is free and open to the public. For more information call 518-963-7492.
Research projects featured:
- Corn silage variety trials
- Cherry tomato pruning options in high tunnels
- Adaptive nitrogen management and cover crops
- Nitrogen management for forage sorghum
- Annual warm season forage variety trials
- Farmer selected organic spring wheats
- Cover crop seeding demonstration plots
- Juneberry production trials
For more information call 518-963-7492